Monday, November 24, 2008

if i were an economist, i wouldn't be in this business

I'm just being cheeky. I'm pretty sure I don't even know how the title of this blog is witty (if at all), but if it is, let me know so I can reuse it at a dinner party or something. And by dinner party I mean like blind date, and by blind date I mean me, myself, and a warm Corona clipping my toe nails. It's a sad, sad life.

I tried to find a Dummies book for Marxism (which refers to the title I guess--not that any of my titles usually have anything to do with the entry itself) but apparently you can't break down Marxist theory like you can break down how a Mac works or social etiquette or probably even like spoon bending with your mind. I wish for once I could understand not just Marx but a lot of the economics lingo I hear again and again which sound incredibly intimidating but are probably not. I think it will be less so if every example was paired with apples. Apples was how my mother taught me addition and subtraction, and how my inquisitive mind came to learn about negative numbers through this process. Perhaps if economics utilized apples (a friendly, non-intimidating fruit), I too will learn quickly.

By the way, I am serious about this. If you or anybody is well versed in the field of economics and is not an asshole teacher type, I would like to spend some hours of my winter break learning the basics. I can't guarantee money, but I can make a damn good pumpkin pie.

[edit]

Whoa. Good God, I forgot to mention that I got into my study abroad program for the spring semester, which essentially means that I'm freaking out like (I don't know) a bat in water (?) Something about having three papers to finish by December, a portfolio to put out, journals to catch up on, study abroad paper work to figure out, and moving my shit outta here. Basically, it's a lot of reorganizing, but I just have to accept that it is a principle of life, and just move with it, yeah?

No comments: