So, today's lesson is: Never make haircut decisions while on your period. You are horribly imbalanced, and therefore, so will consequently be your hairdo.
You may have guessed that this most recent venture into danger (close my eyes and pick one! my butt), turned out mediocre results. Actually, "mediocre" was to lessen the blow. Not as bad as the mullet. However, this is a close second. Again, when the Chinese lady starts to argue with you about adding "layers" to your hair, do not relent, I repeat, DO NOT SUCCUMB. Also, the place I usually went to on Main St. finally closed down, and the only other reliable place in Flushing so far seems to charge way too much for their so-so workmanship, and pressed for time I settled on the place with the purple awning (I figured since purple is my lucky color, things would work out- not quite so). I vow to stay with Yolanda (kickass hairdresser on Parsons Blvd. who also did my hair for prom) for as long as she'll have me. No one gets me like she does.
As luck would have it, our AC is overheated, and we are in a sweat house tonight. All the more reason to get out, and do things. Things of a productive nature. Like, say, writing that poem. Writing that personal essay for study abroad. Stuff.
Otherwise, nothing else important. I'm reading Sherman Alexie's Flight and Julia Alvarez's Saving the World (I like reading more than one thing at one time so long as they are in the same genre and/or medium). I guess you can say I am in a fiction sort of mind. I just finished The Time Traveler's Wife, and had to give myself a pat on the back for the extraordinary amount of patience it took to get through with that. I get it. Ya'll are in love, and Clare's always waiting. Typical tortured charmer amends his wild lifestyle upon meeting goddess woman artist with heart of gold, goes back and forth in time and becomes integral part of her life growing up. Love conquers all, ish. Destiny this. Fate that. Call me jaded but (and you wouldn't be far from right) if I want a love story, I demand one that is politically conscious and critical, and has primary PoC characters with issues of class, gender identity, and sexuality at play. To be honest, I skimmed over the ending. I'm not even really sure what happened exactly, nor do I really care. I'm sure other people can appreciate it. As for me, not so much.
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment