Compartmentalizing your life: pros and cons. Pro: Different people, places, things in the categories they belong. Con: They can't help but find each other and make plans together.
Doing youth work has made me more introspective than I would like to be. I think a lot about preventive and corrective behavior (on my behalf), self-censoring, filtering, compartmentalizing (see above) and that which always skirts my purview, self-care. Also, interrupting oppressive behavior at the work place. That seems to be a big one. Mostly, I think about why it is harder for me to interrupt PoCs than it is white allies. That internal criticism is probably one of the hardest to admit. Additionally, I think about my own privileges, and am working on turning them (feelings of inadequacy, discomfort, even initial resistance) into something proactive. We'll see how it goes.
It's also probably too soon to tell, but I'm gawking at graduate school requirements (for creative writing programs). I hate that doing anything with the arts is so heavy on showcasing, or at least with writing specifically, the emphasis on "publish or perish". Also, why is there no such thing as creative arts therapy for those concentrated on writing? But first things first, how much of my soul do I have to auction off before I get to this point?
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment