Monday, March 17, 2008

how my mother confirmed my queerness



Today is monumental. And it's all thanks to The L Word (thanks Showtime for bringing families together one coming out experience at a time!)

I might have mentioned in passing that during one of my extended periods away from home, my mother started to spice up her TV routine by keeping up with the fifth season of The L Word. Today, as I was tuning in for Sunday reruns, my mother noted my intense interest in the affairs of Bette and Jodie, and said to me, "You know, I think you girls..."

!

"Yeah, I guess I do... in fact... I guess you can say I love... everybody equally?" (loosely translated from Cantonese). She asks if that means bisexual. I tell her "Kind of... sort of... except I don't really like to use that term so much". She nods. We watch Jodie attempt to win Bette back with passionate love making which does not fly well with Bette. "So what about grandchildren?" she says moments later. "Well, mother," I tell her, "if I end up with a woman, we can do what Bette and Tina did in season one, and find a sperm donor". End with me explaining to her how that works (she never saw season one and does not have the patience to download episodes online). What broke my heart was the conclusion she draws in finality which in more or less words equals: "What is gay and what is straight after all? Definitions don't make sense".

No comments: